Remove this ad

Lead

Jun 15 15 11:32 PM

Tags : :

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, but I have been getting my ass kicked by static shock, more so than usual these past few weeks. It's often to the point in where I'm afraid to handle a vehicle door upon exit and have been shutting them by touching the window glass (or with my elbows) It's not just every so often either, it's literally every day, multiple times a day. I'm aware that there is rational and grounded scientific explainations out there on the net (I've been reading those), but it doesn't seem to matter if I'm in a vehicle with cloth seats or leather seats. And I'm not rubbing my hands on surfaces building up static beforehand - it just doesn't seem to matter. And it's not just vehicles, I walked up to an atm and ZAP! from the metal insert for your bank card. Walked into two seperate places today with metal swinging doors - ZAP! and audible to the point in where the person I was with actually heard it. The other night I jumped out to do a quick run into a 7-11 and got shocked on my car door so bad that the pain actually traveled up my middle finger, into my palm, and lingered there for at least a minute.

Also being in Oregon (unlike Washington) we do not have self serve gas pumps. Normally what I like to do is jump out and at least open the fuel door and spin off the cap for the attendant guy (or gal) But these past few months I've abandoned that little gesture in fear of sparking up a gasoline fire. It's not my clothes (which usually are cotton anyway), it's not the soles of my shoes (which are rubber), I'm not sure what the ramped up static activity is. The weather? Idk..

Last Edited By: pdxtodd Jun 15 15 11:37 PM. Edited 3 times

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Jun 16 15 2:52 PM

Static electricity is my nemesis. I'm totally OCD about it now to the point where I have to touch things or slap certain parts of a car door before I get out. I open the door, hold the top part of the door frame that is metal and only then will I touch my feet to the ground. It makes getting out sort of difficult and ridiculous looking at times but whatever, I fucking hate those static shocks almost unreasonably. Before I open the fridge or anything really that might shock me, I will slap it because I have the theory that the feel of the slap will somehow alleviate the zap of the shock. Dumb I know, but it makes me feel better.

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

Jun 19 15 12:35 PM

I too have suffered with static.

So what I do on getting out of my car is to simply open the door and touch the ground before touching the metal of the door.

Haven't had a shock at all since I've started doing that.

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Jun 20 15 10:32 PM

The annoying part is that I usually am reminded of what's going to happen the split second before my hand comes into contact. Touching the ground though is something I'm going to try hopefully if I can remember to do it.

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Jul 1 15 11:28 AM

pdxtodd wrote:
The annoying part is that I usually am reminded of what's going to happen the split second before my hand comes into contact. Touching the ground though is something I'm going to try hopefully if I can remember to do it.

Any joy?

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Jul 1 15 5:40 PM

Not really, (allthough I'm forgetting to ground myself during my hectic commutes) I shocked another person the other day by my forearm coming in close proximity to theirs (not quite touching) - little zap upon exiting a vehicle. I also got another little zap from coming into contact with a plant bordering my driveway that's about door level with the vehicle. Sometimes I'll anticipate the shock when moving to open a door (pause) and it doesn'rt come. Other times, (more often than not it seems during the hot weather), I will get the static zap. I don't recall it ever being this much of an issue for me though as it has been end of spring going into the summer months of this year. 

Last Edited By: pdxtodd Jul 1 15 5:42 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help